Set up at home:
- Come up with review questions for each verse of a song (I had 10 questions). I ask the questions in the order of songs/verses of songs they need most help with so we can review those first.
- Use thick paper to cut up ~2"x2" squares. Cut enough to double the amount of questions you have. IE: I had 10 questions so I cut 20 pieces of paper. The thick paper is so you can't see what number is written on the back.
- Starting with 1, write numerical numbers on the pieces of paper, one number per paper (so I had 1 through 20)
- Put each paper face down (so you CAN'T see the numbers) on the table randomly like this (numbers should be mixed up):
- Tell kids we are playing a game that is all of them vs. you. On the board write up Kids in one column and your name in the other. Tell them this is a game with points and whoever has the most points at the end wins.
- Bring a child up. Ask them one of your review questions. Tell them if they don't know it they can ask one person to help them (this is to relieve pressure from those kids who are scared to be wrong).
- Whether they get the question wrong or right tell them to pick two papers but DON'T TURN IT OVER YET! Just have them slide the papers close to them, out of the sea of papers.
- Have them flip over 1 card, just 1, not both. Let's say it's a 7 for sake of example.
- If they get the question right they can pick if they want to keep the 7 for their points or pick the amount of points that is under the other "mystery" card.
- If they get the question wrong you (the chorister) get to pick if you want to keep the 7 points or go for the other "mystery" card.
- Once the child, or you, picks the 7 or the mystery card, flip over the mystery card and put points in the belonging column. Say the child got the question right, picked to keep the points of the mystery card, that card was a 15, then under the kid's column you write 15 points and under your column you write 7. Got it? That's it!
Here were the review questions I had in case you want some ideas:
The Family is of God—we are singing this with the sign language. Name the sign (each verse is a question)
Build and Ark
2nd: Sing or say the next line: I will build my ark before it starts to rain…
2nd: Sing or say the next line: To fulfill the law said Jesus, when the Baptist questioned why…
Seek the Lord Early
How does the song tell us to seek the Lord early? (there are a few ways)
He sent His Son
Say or sing first line of the song (pianist can play intro)
I Stand all Amazed
Pianist plays line, kids guess lyrics: oh it is wonderful that he should care for me
The Hearts of the Children
Who appeared to Joseph Smith as an angel in the Kirtland temple, restoring the sealing power to earth?