danielle's background

Friday, January 27, 2012

Tutorial: Simple Silky Flower


I love this flower! Why? Because I think it works especially well for an adult. I did try this on a headband for my daughter but I don't like it on the front of her head as I do my hair.
Now, the fabric button I used is an extra button I had from a shirt. I haven't seen fabric buttons you can make yourself this small, so hopefully you can find something that works for you. At the end of the post I'll show you how it looks with a bigger fabric button.
What you need:
  • Fabric with polyester (it does NOT need to be 100% polyester, just have some polyester--this is the silky fabric you would make a formal dress with).
  • Needle and thread
  • Fabric button
  • Hair clip (found at craft stores, pictured below)
  • Felt, cut into a 1" by .75" oval
  • Scissors
  • Candle
  • Glue (I used a hot glue gun)
First step: Cut your 5 petals out of the polyester into tear shapes. I didn't measure, but here is about what they turned out to be:

Burn all edges of all petals. I have a video of how to do this here.

Take one petal and sew through the tip:

Take the next petal and go through that tip:

Go around, back to the first petal and sew through both tips of petals:

Get petal 3 and go once through that then around petal 2 and 3 together. Grab petal 4, go once through that, then once through petal 3 and 4. Repeat this step with 5th petal.

Next I sew around all 5 petals (on the top), going around the circle of petals. This just keeps them all together nicely.

Now, get your button, sew through that and down to the bottom of the flower.

Grab the oval shaped felt and sew up and down through one of the long sides, two times in the same spot. Sew the thread through the felt to the other long side of the felt. Because there isn't a lot of room in the back to hide the felt, I pinched it in (so it is long and skinny) and sewed the other long side onto the flower. Sew up and down 2 or 3 times.

You can see the little puckers where I sewed the felt onto the flower:

Here's where I tied the knot, between the felt and flower:

Put a small amount of glue on the side of the clip that will be between the felt and flower, the glue touching the felt.
Here are pictures of the big and little buttons. The little looks better, I think. Hopefully you can find something like that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment